The past week we've heard warnings about the Conficker D. worm virus, which could affect millions of computers worldwide possibly beginning April 1, 2009. Experts have been tracking the nasty worm since October 2008. Because the worm is so powerful in hijacking computers a $250.000 reward was offered by Microsoft back in February 2009, for information leading to the capture of the Conficker hackers! Computer experts are always trying to stay one step ahead!
They have identified four variants of the Conficker Worm A, B, C, and D.
Seven steps to protect your computer from viruses trojan worms, and spyware such as the Conficker:
1. Use a good Antivirus software. I use Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware.
2. I also use Webroot Spy Sweeper as a double whammy.
3. Be sure you're getting critical updates from microsoft. Go to tools and click on windows update to download the newest updates and patches!
4. Create a hardcopy backup of all your important files, program files, document files, and photo files ect.. My Webroot Spy Sweeper offers to do this online for me, but I'd rather make a hardcopy myself! You need to update this as often as you need to, depending on how much saved work you create!
5. Always be careful with emails don't open large file attachments, especially if you're not sure of the sender Don't Open The Email!
6. Be vigilant updating and running your software, daily, weekly, and monthly to protect your computer to the fullest compacity! My programs remind me, if a scan is not run! The protective software is no good if you don't stick with it! Remember hackers are out there constantly creating new viruses!
7. Pray you don't get a virus, trojan worm, or run out of memory! Like my daughter downloading millions of photos and all her songs to her ipod!
My new Windows Vista pretty much handles things in the backround automatically. My windows updates on a daily basis. But the experts are saying to update at least twice a day until the Conficker passes! Just in case they come up with new patches to the worm! I'm running my antivirus now as we speak to make sure my system is running smoothly.
I remember 9 years ago having a worm on my last computer, and it took me two months to get my programs back up and running! It was a nightmare! So far with all these products, my computer is well protected! Run all your protective programs and keep them updated at least daily until the virus issue passes!
If you have the Conficker worm you can remove and learn more about it on the Microsoft Site . You'll find a multitude of information there on any security issue you may have, and any New Security Information of interest!
I'm thankful for all the experts who fight daily to protect our computers. Many of us have become extremely dependent on our computers, for all our business and personal needs! Hopefully we'll all wake up on April fool's day without any computer headaches!