Saturday, May 31, 2008

Economy Blamed For Abandoned Dogs And Cats!!

With the vast number of people losing their jobs, and not being able to afford morgages the number of abandoned pets has risen. The cost of pet care and pet food is also rising. A starving cat and dog were found in a Westmoreland County apartment building. The owner evicted for not paying rent, was unable to care for the abandoned animals.

Kathy Burkley of the Humane Society of Westmoreland county said "We're getting more and more calls from people who have lost their jobs or homes due to the economy." "Donations are also down, and increased pet population is going up, presenting a very difficult dilemmma."

The no kill Westmoreland County shelter is already filled to capacity, and is encouraging anyone who can take care of a pet to consider adopting. Donations are always welcome!

I'm sure that this situation will not be limited to one shelter. The problem will be widespread as the effects of our economy keep hitting us hard. I've found if you buy food in bulk it's much more economical in the long run. I found a 3lb bag of cat food is almost half the price of a 16lb bag. Sometimes you can get a good deal when on sale, and store in big plastic containers. I'm sad to know that not only families, but pets are now suffering for our sagging economy.

You can see the animals rescued and related story and video of the Westmoreland Humane Society here: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/westmoreland/16439916/detail.html

Adopt or give to your local Humane Society today! The dogs and cats need your help now!

Consider signing the "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less," campaign petition in my previous blog post below, or here at this link: http://literallyinthemoment.blogspot.com/2008/05/sign-petition-to-lower-gas-prices-be.html

6 comments:

terrymcdermott said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jo A. T.B. said...

You are welcome Terry! :)

ochikeron said...

I don't have pets, but it's hard to believe...
From June, food prices have risen again!!!
The interval is getting shorter... :(

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hello Ochi,

I couldn't imagine my life without my dog and cat. They bring so much joy to my life. My new kitty comes and lays right in front of me on my desk for attention.

Isn't the economy so upsetting. We have to find unique ways to just survive!

ochikeron said...

Hello! The picture you have in the Header is your cat? Beautiful!!! My sister has a dog, but I never had a pet. Should be fun! I wish I could live in a place where I can have pets.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Yes Ochi, the photo in the header is my (Neko) OP Cat. He will take his little paws and pull my hands to his face. He is very loving, and a good cat. My husband said he thinks our cat is reincarnated from a human. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails