Wednesday, June 4, 2008

To The Man I Love!

He's no modern day Casanova.
He's a man
in every sense of the word,
an intelligent man possessing,
a young boy's ornery humor.

Iron hands to handle any daily task,
yet so gentle when making love.

A hard working man
who never requires more,
than a long strenuous day
he constantly puts forth.

A big, strong man
who's embrace makes me feel,
like a woman,
in every sense of the word.

A proud stubborn man
who walks this earth,
with a generous heart
spanning just as vast.

And the rare tears
I have seen him cry,
brings me ever closer...

To the man
I love..
in every sense of the word.

©Jo A. True-Burkholder 2004-2008.

June 2, 2008 marked my husband and I's 18th anniversay. I wrote this poem for him for Valentines day in 2004. 18 years is a milestone in our present day and age. I'm one out of three sisters still married. I see it as the norm ,1 out of 3 marriages lasts these days. The luster has not gone out of my marriage after18 years. In fact we have only been drawn closer to each other especially over the past two years. We've lost our parents, my mother, and his father. Two really great parents, who loved to party and enjoy life to the fullest. It is our deep love that keeps them alive in our hearts. We've had our ups and downs, no one is perfect or should have to be. Life is a hard enough journey, let alone not being able to be ourselves.

I married my best friend and the man I still lust for to this day. I hope we never become a statistic. I can see us as that old couple only separated by death, and not even then. He still buys me flowers, opens doors, and carries heavy things. But most of all, he is always at my side when I need him. In this modern day when marrige is no longer an institution, ours continues to thrive. We awake to beat the odds with every passing day, and every daily hurdle we have to cross. Like they say the grass is not always greener on the other side, and a good partner is even harder to find. Trust is the key to a great marriage. Trust, patience, and a whole lot of love! Long live us hopeless romantics!!

12 comments:

Jo Janoski said...

Congratulations for your Anniversary! My guy sounds just like yours. Our anniversary will be 36 years this year.

ochikeron said...

Congratulations!!!
I love your poem. I feel ashamed to write to my boyfriend, though ;)
You know what!? June 7th is a five-year anniversary since I met my boyfriend.
"The man I still lust", I want to say this forever. Patience... this is what I lack... I need to think like you. How overflowing with love!!!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Wow Jo,

You have me beat! You are double what we are! You must have married young! Hope your baby dog is doing ok! Mine is limping pretty bad these days. She doesn't want to be out in the humitity. Thanks for addin the drill here, flash button to your site. There is over 375.000 signatures almost triple, from when I signed up! :)

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thank you Ochi,

Glad you liked my poem. Why do you feel ashamed to write to your boyfriend, is it against your custom to do so? I lack patience myself sometimes. You know I knew my husband a very long time almost 7 years before we got married. :)

Kate Evans said...

Yay, love!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Yes Kate A Toast To Love! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations; Glad for you.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Sumedh thank you! Nice to meet a fellow poet & photographer! :)

ochikeron said...

7 years before you got married?! I sometimes feel left out from my friends who got married in 1-2 years, but now I think the other way! I want to be like you and your husband!!! I hope I can respect my boyfriend more, though...

>>is it against your custom to do so?
No... I am not good at writing, so I feel embarrassed :(

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Ochi,

You seem very good at writing to me, along with your wonderful cooking. Things will work out fine with your boyfriend, especially if you were meant to be. Respect is a mutual thing, you must also be respected by boyfriend too! :)

Maureen said...

Jo, I also knew my husband a long time before we were married: 11 years. We were each other's best friend by the time we made our commitment public with a marriage ceremony. I am inspired by what you wrote about your husband and the milestone you have reached together - 18 years! Tim and I have been together for 15 years, married for 8. I pray that we will still be alive for our 20th anniversary -- I know if we are, we will be still in love and in lust with each other, like you guys are. I love hearing about couples who have managed to beat the "odds" and have stayed close, loving, and caring in an ever-evolving marriage. Here's to the non-institution of marriage. May more folks find themselves living there with enthusiasm and joy.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Sweet Maureen, again I missed one of your comments! I wish you 20 years of marriage and more! Sounds like you're definitely on your way! Here, Here, to the non-institution of marriage!

Related Posts with Thumbnails