Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail Excursion 2008


Father’s day we took a scenic 1 1/2 hour bike ride up through the Laurel Highlands. I love the uninhibited and exhilarating feeling riding on a motorcycle, and low on gas too! We walk the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail at least 2 times a year. The changing of the seasons is remarkably beautiful along the trail. The stone trail is rough in spots as rocks of all sizes are scattered everywhere.



Humbled by the gigantic trees towering over head, with the sun beaming through. Reminds you of an enchanted forest in a storybook. Looks as if you are viewing a piece of Heaven on earth!


Midway through the muddy trail, a spot was littered with flower petals, and I found a couple of the most gorgeous flowers. Almost resembling a wild water lily. I placed the flower in a pond, and took this photo.



Lush green ferns grow in abundance all along the trail. Even more stunning with the sunlight beaming down upon them!


The mountain laurel which is Pennsylvania's state flower is also abundant in the woods of the Laurel mountain hiking trail. The woods are remote and serene, you hear the birds and nothing else. I’ve always felt a bit intimidated because this is bear country. Many hunters hunt here in the fall for bear, deer, ect..., but we’ve never seen any animals when we were there. You can walk the whole 70 mile trail, it took my brother -in-law two days to complete the trail. There are huts along the way to sleep and rest in. A wonderful place to go if you like hiking, and enjoy remote nature sites.

On the way down the mountain we stopped at a friendly biker bar called Walets. They are known for their ham sandwiches which are a good pound or more of thick sliced baked ham on a huge bun. I never saw so much meat on a sandwich for five bucks. All their sandwiches are humongous, and the place packs in big crowds of bikers and customers on a regular basis.

Ruthies Diner is also another good restaurant in the Ligonier area for good eats. Great homemade soups, sandwiches, dinners, and desserts.

We made one more stop on our way down Laurel Mountain, which I am going to include in part two of our Laurel Highland Excursions!

10 comments:

Kate Evans said...

Wow, absolutely gorgeous. Nature is my church.

Sounds like a perfect day.

Jo Janoski said...

It's my church, too. A nature trail walk can soothe so many ills. Looking forward to the next part.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Nature is mine too Kate! Funny I live in the country and still go out in search of more country settings. We are surrounded by woods, and cow pastures. Folks are always surprised and shocked when they hear mooing in my backyard! :)

Jo A. T.B. said...

You are so right Jo nature does wonderful things. I'm surrounded by woods here at home, but I love to visit other sites especially here in PA. I think you'll like the second part, because you're into art! :)

K.C. said...

Sounds like you did find a literal piece of Heaven on earth. So glad that I came in to visit. I can imagine that you were humbled by it all.

The flower to the tree. What a wonderful experience that was for you.. Thank you for sharing it with us all... Kayce

Jo A. T.B. said...

A piece of Heaven away from home
indeed Kayce! You never know the beauty you'll find in nature. I'm always very observant to the beauty around me! Thanks for checking out my blog! Will be over to visit you too! :)

ochikeron said...

Hello jo!!!

You go on a hike twice a year?!
Your lifestyle is very healthy!!!

Is this the sandwich you mentioned?
Sounds fun to eat :)

>>Nature is my church
We don't use a metaphor like this in Japan, so very interesting!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hello Ochi,

Yes we hike the trail twice a year. Not the whole 70 miles, but at least a quarter of it.

Yes the sandwich was huge, I wish I took a photo of it. You wouldn't believe, I didn't get one way to big for me!

Nature is my church a figure of speech. Means we love nature as much as we love God. You can find inner peace and oneness in nature, like you can find in Church. For me God is everywhere, not only in church or temple. God also lives in all the beauty he has
created.! :)

ochikeron said...

Thank you jo!

>>Nature is my church
I am glad that you explained me what it actually means!

>>God also lives in all the beauty he has created
Right! I need to thank for everything, jo!

Jo A. T.B. said...

You are welcome Ochi, some sayings are different here, as I'm sure they are there in Japan. I think it is so amazing how well you understand and write English. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails