Sunday, June 22, 2008

Impressive Art ~ Portraits of the Eastern Frontier!

Last stop on our way down Laurel Highland Hiking Trail was to the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art. The museum itself is a rustic log cabin, located at the heart of Ligoiner Valley. The museum had a special art exhibition "Portrails of the Eastern Frontier." Featured painters Robert Griffing, John Buxton, and Chas Fagan.

Robert Griffing is a native of Pennsylvania, and a graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh PA. His dipictions of the Woodland Indian tribes were unbelievable! Oil on canvas has always been a favorite of mine, because of the vibrant colors! A few of his brilliant pieces appear below!


The Warriors Cache, 2004. Robert Griffing 40" x 42"
Daunting facial expressions!

Thundering Water, 2006. Robert Griffing 53"x 70"
Huge amazing piece backround setting Niagra Falls!


He Speaks of the Old Ways, 2006. Robert Griffing 33" x 29"
Wonderful face details right down to the veins in his head!


John Buxton a native of North Carolina, graduate of Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, CA. He resides in Western Pennsylvania, which has influenced his historical art of the 18th century! A few pieces of his outstanding work appear below:


God's Gift, 1998. John Buxton 47" x 32"
One of my favorite pieces of John's paintings. Photo doesn't do justice to the detail of his painting!


The Fording Place, 2007. John Buxton 29 1/2" x 39 1/2"
Reflections and ripples in the water outstanding!

Kinsman to the Shawnee, 2004. John Buxton 34 1/2" x 24 1/2"
I love the rushing water, rock backround, and beauty in her face.

Only a small sampling of all we viewed in the Oil on canvas ~ Portraits of the Eastern Frontier exhibition. I highly recommend you visit the museum or sites to witness the magnitude of these paintings. There were also stunning bronze pieces. None of the above paintings were for sale. The exhibition will be on display at the museum until August 30, 2008. Definitely some impressive art!! All photos ©copyright by their respective artists! Photos taken by Jo.

8 comments:

ROSA E OLIVIER said...

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per un selva oscura...!?...passavo per un saluto!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Grazie per la visita saluti a voi :)

Jo Janoski said...

Some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen. The realism, the lighting, just out of this world. I'm drooling on my computer screen here just looking at them! I'm going to have to get over to Ligonier and see them in person.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hello Jo,

As an art lover, I knew you would appreciate these photos. My husband is a big fan of Indian art, his father was part Indian! Both painters from PA too, pretty cool!!

I forgot to add in Mr. Buxtons site, I edited so you can scroll over his name, and go to his site. He does commisioned work, and looks for sites of interest to paint. I may leave him a e-mail to stop by here sometime! :)

Definitely worth your while to check out the exhibition! Thanks for stopping by Jo!

Kate Evans said...

thanks for these...nice Romantic quality to them..

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Kate,

Glad you liked them. My photos seem very light, because of the lighting in the gallery. I didn't even use flash because of that reason! :)

ochikeron said...

Hello jo!

These are amazing! You had a very nice trip! I like looking at art for a change. It develops an eye for art, too.
I always wonder how people draw such an impressive piece.

Do you draw oil painting? I took art classes at college, but I didn't take oil painting. I mean, I took drawing classes and realized I'm not good at drawing!
You know what! I just found very funny stuff! I used to update my HP and that is still here... ha-ha!!!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thanks Ochi,
I don't draw oil paintings, I do photography, and minipulative art.
I like distorting photos and making into cool pictures, and abstract designs. I wish I could draw like these guys, so talented! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails