Thursday, February 19, 2009

Loving Tribute To My Delilah Chocolate Labrador Retriever!


It's with heavy broken heart, I dedicate this post to my chocolate Labrador Retriever Delilah! She suffered a stroke on Tuesday and had to be put down with her loving family at her side. Pictured above is my daughter who is the same age as Delilah, and our tabby cat Bones who passed away Christmas of 2007! Delilah had just turned 14 in January 2009!



Delilah was a gorgeous pup. I picked her out of a litter which had 3 chocolate labs. She grabbed my attention immediately with her dark chocolate coat! We had bred our Sampson with a friends black Labrador, and Delilah was my first pick! The Labs were all AKC registered!



At the time we had Delilah in our home, we also had her father Sampson, and a dropped off Tabby stray Bones cat. I had just given birth to my daughter. My house and heart were overflowing with love!

Sampson taught Delilah every trick he knew, like running away, rolling in cow patties, laying in mud puddles, and dousing themselves in the perfume of putrid dead animals!

Sampson and Delilah swam in our swimming pool every Summer! My husband taught them to climb up the ladder to get out. We would throw their toys in and they would retrieve them, sometimes actually going under the water to get them! The chlorine however, was very hard on their skin taking out their natural oils. But at least I knew the water was clean that they were swimming in. The past couple years, Delilah was unable to swim in the pool, due to her joint problems, and not being able to pull herself up the ladder. They loved swimming in the pool!
When Sampson died, Delilah and Bones were best buddies often sleeping together!


When my Father-In-Law became ill, we frequently took care of his beagle puppy Snoopy. Delilah tolerated his young playfulness. She was already 12 by then, so we decided not to keep Snoopy because he would jump on her back all the the time!

When my Bones cat died the Christmas before last, I was so sad. I went out and adoted my new Cat OP from a shelter in my area. Delilah once again opened her heart to let another animal into our lives. OP was so afraid of Delilah, but they soon became best friends sleeping together everyday beside my desk!


Here is the last photo I shot of Delilah, when we had our last snow storm. She loved to stick her nose deep down in the snow, adding more white to her graying fur! I'm missing her so deeply, and my walks will never be the same without my Delilah!
I gave my life to her, and she gave her life to me unconditionally! My babies are all buried together in the same spot, by my tree stand. Saying goodbye is the hardest part of living to me! OP is not sure what to do without his buddy sleeping beside him, and keeps looking toward the door for Delilah to come in! Our home is so void, and quiet without her! Most of all I miss looking into those big browns always greeting me with a wagging tail. Delilah was a true blessing to our lives!
I can't wait to meet my babies on the otherside, down Heaven's country road! Tomodomo "together in company," as my Japanese cousin says!
Read a previous post of Delilah's life here: An Autumn Walk With My Delilah Dog

22 comments:

Jo Janoski said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Having just lost our Peepers a month ago, I know with fresh feelings how you feel. I'm so sorry it was sudden. At least with our dog we knew she had cancer and to expect something. We brought a new pup, Hobo the Shih Tzu, in right away, and it helps.

Dan said...

Sorry to hear the news, Jo. Since I live in the sticks all three of my dogs are outdoor dogs. Even then you become attached. I'm certain it's that much harder when they live, sleep, and eat with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jo, I'm so, so sorry. Losing pets is never easy on the heart. They give so much of themselves to us. I loved seeing the pictures! A very wonderful tribute to all of them.

{{Jo}}

terrymcdermott said...

So sorry to hear about this. I have been there. Also love the new artwork posted at the top of your blog.

terrymcdermott said...

At gather I just go by Terry M. If you google Shamgar Report Gather, you should fund me. The man whose poltical post are basically hate atricles is a man name Peter Wimsey. He also can be easily found on gather and can be googled.

Jo A. T.B. said...

I know you can relate Jo. In a way I don't want another dog right now, I just want my Dee! Things are just so up in the air in my home now. At least I had these few years to dedicate my life to her final years. Thanks Jo!

Jo A. T.B. said...

I kinda live in the sticks too. Oh Dan you need to bring them dogs in, it gets mighty cold in the winter. The cold is hard on the older dogs, especially on their joints! Thank you!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thank you Nan,

It sure is hard on the heart, they are like my children. So innocent and beautiful and loving!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thanks Terry,

I think most of us have been there, one way or another. Glad you liked the artwork, and I'll look you up on Gather!

ochikeron said...

Hello jo,

Seeing this title, I was afraid to open this post...
I am sorry to hear this and I still can't believe it. OP should be sad, too.

Last week my co-worker lost her dog. Her dog was old and she knew she had to be ready, but the time came so sudden, like your's...

Your daughter is cute! All your pictures are nice!!! I remember snoopy jumping on Delilah's back. Thanks for writing this post. In this way, I can pray for the soul of Delilah. May she rest in peace.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Ochi,

I had to do the post of Delilah, in celebration of her life. Most dogs are lucky to make it past ten years. I was lucky to have her in mine for 14.

I'm very sad missing her, crying alot especially at dinner time, it was our time to walk. So now I walk and sit in my tree stand by her grave, and look out over the cow fields.

Thanks much for your sweet thoughts!

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Dear friend Jo, I am so very sorry to hear about Delilah. I do truly believe that if any of us have eternal lives, ALL of us do, Delilah included.

Your daughter is really beautiful--I am glad to see a picture of her, even as a little girl!

*Hugs*

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

PS And, Tomodomo!

@nGeLine said...

Jo,
I felt sad to hear about your dog, Delilah!! Actually I scar with the dog when I was small.
I also have cat few years ago and named it snowy.....because it was white in colour. But died in accident and I also felt sad at that moment. Now, I only have hamster......it also cute. At least got animal accompany beside me....wouldn't feel alone!!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thank you Joyce, funny how they are like your children. So innocent, good, and beautiful! I miss her terrribly! Hugs back!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Angeline,

Yes animals are wonderful company, so nice to feel their fur against your skin. Thanks for your nice comments!

Nazarina A said...

Jo,
Please accept my condolences. My heart goes out to you and your family. Yes you will grieve, you will be sad, but it is part of the healing process. There will be another little angel for you to bestow your love upon, but not yet! I am always here, if you want to talk, you know where to find me! I feel so heart sore for you! What can I do to help?

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Nazarina,

Just having you come to visit my Delilah tribute means alot to me. You and I share a deep and profound love for animals, as well as most of my blogger friends. Thank you for being there sweet friend! I'll be in touch!

Maggie said...

So sorry about your dog...I know you'll miss her terribly. The pictures were a wonderful tribute to her and your other beloved pets.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thank you Maggie, Delilah is surely missed here in our home. I've never lived without a dog for very long! My babies are all together now in one spot!

Bob said...

Jo, I got here from Dan's blog, "Poetic Justice"... I wanted to send my condolences on the loss of your lab. We lost our 13-year-old chocolate lab, Fudge, last year and we still miss him terribly.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thank you kindly Bob for coming over and reading my tribute to Delilah. I cry every day missing her. Something about those Labs, aren't they just the greatest dogs?

Related Posts with Thumbnails