Sunday, September 7, 2008

9-11 Reflections Forever Changed ~ Poem


The above photo was taken at the flight 93 crashsite in Somerset on our visit in 2003. The wide open fields and treelines are distinctive traits of beautiful Pennslyvania landscapes. We weren't actually allowed real close, but near to the treeline is where the plane went down. I found a site with arial shots which I thought were interesting here: 9-11 Reseach They have since moved the memorial across the street from where it was. A poem I wrote for 9-11 past to present!

9-11 Reflections Forever Changed

September 11, 2001

Not a plane in the sky,
I wipe a tear from my eyes,
I cry.
the nation cries..
I embrace my child,
glued to the TV set,
haven’t found everyone yet.
Part of the world died today,
a part of history,
which will leave us forever changed.

September 11, 2003

A gapping wound which won’t heal.
the lasting effects have rippled down.
Gas prices have shot way up,
big corporations have shut down.
Lives continue to be lost,
in a war which seems endless.
yet we are a proud and free nation.

We remember..
so many broken hearts
so many tears cried.
As our nation grieves.. for those
who gave and still give their lives.
A deep sadness remains..
reflecting on a day...a day,
which left us forever changed.

September 11, 2008

We reign as land of the free -where all
come to capture the American dream.
Great fountain yields equal opportunity,
building upon our own prosperity.

Modern times may appear bleak and gray,
no foreign evil can take our freedom away.
We honor those who give us that right,
surrendered lives in war’s untimely plight.

Citizen heroes we profoundly remember,
perished one bright Autumn September.
Fiery flames persevere on a horrific day,
reflections of tomorrows forever changed.

©Jo A. True-Burkholder 2008

11 comments:

Jo Janoski said...

Funny how it remains as alive in our minds today as when it happened. Well, yours and my mind anyway, other people, sometimes I'm not so sure...

Jo A. T.B. said...

It sure does Jo, you never hesitate to give a smile, with your humorous remarks!

Maggie said...

Hi Jo,

Have you ever read any Mary Oliver or Czeslaw Milosz?

Milosz writes many poems about war that I think you would appreciate.

Here's a Mary Oliver that moves me. I read it for the first time on 9/12/2001. I love her work.

Here it is:

http://www.globalideasbank.org/LA/LA-2.HTML

Jo A. T.B. said...

Beautiful Maggie, moved me too!
Thanks for the link! :)

ochikeron said...

How interesting you posted your poem along with the poem written in 2001 & 2003!

I think the whole world changed since then... I wish I could have lived in the economic bubble years.

Dan said...

Well done! Love the progressive posting, Jo...takes us from the very close intimate and tight shot to an everwidening view, yet never loosing the emphasis that this day changed us all!

ozymandiaz said...

moving rendition

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thank you Dan, the emotions are kinda raw, very hard to write of such a masacre as you know!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thanks Ozzy!

Maggie said...

Hi Jo,

Hope you're having a good weekend. I tagged you for a meme. Details on my blog!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thanks Maggie, took you up on the meme! Have a good weekend too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails