Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Hunting Widow!


The Hunting Widow

The first full burst of Fall’s wind shift , resurrects a mood change in Clyde Johnson. He reckons it’s time to let his beard fully grow in, and scope out the wooded paths he plans to traverse. His wife Sylvia has become accustomed to her husband’s long unannounced excursions throughout the years. His regular tardiness to dinner and early retreats to bed, true tell signs hunting season has arrived.

Guns are pulled out cleaned and polished. Clyde handles them with the dexterity, and skillfulness that Sylvia uses with her best china! His gun will be a constant companion for many hours during his wild hunting escapades. His disappearing acts are expected and tolerated this time of year. Gun sights are set, and triggers are checked. Targets drug out for target practice. Shots are fired piercing the silent air, startling nature into a frenzy.

Sylvia stands back quietly observing giving Clyde his own space. She knows disturbing him will do no good. His mindset on a strict one way track , “Huntin mode!” When first married she became a tad jealous of his yearly ritual, but she soon grew to understand. Clyde took time off for himself only during hunting season. Bear and deer were the two exclusive things which mattered to him for weeks on end. Leaving the house well before dawn, and punctually returning at nightfall.

When he had the good fortune to lug one home to her, you never saw a more proud or happier sight. Clyde was bringing home food for the table, as if this was all which validated him as a man. Bolstering his confidence up, so he could tell his buddies full play by play details of his astounding hunt. The huge boyish grin graced upon his face said it all!

A quick change from dried bloody clothes and he’s off. His final jaunt spinning out to the Elks Sportsman club, to pound down a few beers, and exchange hunting stories. Later pleasantly shit faced strolls back home, grabs a bite of dinner, a shower, and finally falls away exhausted into a heap onto their bed.

Sylvia has found her true calling, she‘s been dubbed a hunting widow for the all the support time she’s put in. She shakes her head in amusement at the beginning of yet another hunting season. Sylvia has many things to keep her mind and time occupied. She knows Clyde will be a happier man doing what he loves to do best. A happy man gives lots of good lovin, and the lovins will be delivered on a grand scale in just a couple weeks!


©Jo A. True-Burkholder 2008
The fields all around my home will become the killing fields directly in the morning. The shots will start as early as 4:00 AM. I always cringe at the thought of those beautiful creatures being killed. My area is crawling with hunters. I just pray that if they are shot they are killed, and not running around wounded. Once my dogs came upon a buck, his leg was hanging literally by the skin. It was such a sad sight, my husband had to put the sweet thing down. I do like venison, when prepared well to remove the gamey taste. Also the meat has much less fat than beef.
The above photo is an eight point which I had my husband mount. Look at his cute big black nose, and his big perky ears. He's a beautiful big buck, my favorite of the ones he's shot. Hubby will be out tomorrow trying to get his deer! Wishing all the hunters Happy Hunting!

8 comments:

Jo Janoski said...

Yep, I know the widow feeling. In my case, I was a photography widow, at home alone while hubby was out taking pictures. That's the only reason I picked up a camera--to go with him. And I guess you could say, "The rest is history." I got hooked! lol.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Jo,

Aren't you glad you went with him, you know so much about photograpy, and are good at it! I love taking pictures, fun to put words to them too!

My husband did take this deer one for me, the buck is up so high in our foyer that I couldn't even take the picture on a ladder! So I got him to take it for me! :)

ochikeron said...

Hi jo!

Your hubby mounted this?! Beautiful!!! I thought this was from a museum or somewhere else. Does he hunt? That's news to me ;)

I can't always leave proper comments but your work is always amazing! I can't write a story from a picture like you.

terrymcdermott said...

I am one of the few men in my area who does not hunt. the photo of the deer is a good one. Thanks for sharing.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Ochi,

My husband didn't mount the deer, but paid to have it mounted. I just thought the deer beautiful! He does hunt and is out there this moment trying to get us a deer!

This story is kinda personal too, something I feel inside! Thank you kindly for your comments!

Jo A. T.B. said...

HI Terry,

I swear everyone here hunts, and there're even some women who hunt too. I don't have that courage to shoot something, like I said in a previous post, "I go to great lengths to avoid even road kill!"
Thank you!

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

We are NOT hunters! My husband nor any of my five sons have been hunting. I remember when I was little my Dad shot a deer and brought it home...I had just read Bambi for the first time, and I cried for weeks.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Joyce,

I couldn't imagine being a child seeing a shot deer, it's still hard for me now. My husband is so elated he shot one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails