Saturday, December 13, 2008

Stir-Fry Venison Tips

Tonight as I walked Delilah we heard the last of the hunters shoot out their guns, deer shooting season officially ends today in Pennsylvania. My husband was lucky to shoot his 8 point last week, and then later he shot a doe. We were happy to receive our meat this week. We take it to a butcher and have it mixed and cut the way we want. Our doe was the first to come back, we had it made into hamburger mixed with beacon


We had about 30lbs of hamburger pictured, we packaged ourselves and dated in ziplock bags. This was the first time we had the deer mixed with beacon, was very tasty.



The backstraps weighed about 10lbs pictured, we received whole and cut into slices. We divided straps into 4 meals, in freezer bags. I kept one bag out, and sliced each slice again in half to make thinner strips.



Stir-Fry Venison Tips

2 1/2 lbs of tips, placed into ziplock bag and add:
1/2 cup of bottled Italian salad dressing
2 tsp worcestershire or teriyaki sauce
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp of pepper

Seal ziplock bag and mix ingredients by kneading and moving meat in bag.
Place bag in refrigerator and marinate overnight.

Heat large skillet or wok to medium heat add
2Tlbs Canola oil
2Tbs Butter

Saute 5 minutes
1 large onion
2 stalks of chopped celery
2 carrots chopped
1 chopped green bell pepper
1/2 head small cabbage chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Add to skillet tips and all marinade mixture, and fold into vegetables.
Cook an additional 10-15 minutes until tips are lightly browned.

Bring 2 quarts of water to boil add
1 1/2 Cups Caserecce Organic pasta
Boil until desired tenderness and drain.

Divide organic pasta into 3 servings on a dinner plate
Top with tips and vegetables
Sprinkle with colby /jack shredded cheese, and parsley.

Voila! Enjoy!

Total of Buck and Doe Meat in ground meat and backstraps 90lbs! We're stocked!

13 comments:

Nazarina A said...

Oh my, oh my! Jo your freezer is so neatly organized! I am sure you have meat there for at least a year! I love the way you made that stir fry. That Worcestershire sauce and the cabbage mmmmmm! You have the flavor and the crunch!

Dan said...

Looks awesome, Jo! As long as you don't overcook the backstraps it doesn't matter much what you do with them (the filet mignon of venison)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo

Wow,Jo..you really made me knew more about your lifestyle there.

You know,I never heard of hunting here in Malaysia,maybe because I lived in city so no jungle,no hunting,and no animals!!

How does doe taste like??Back in my hometown,they sell for this doe for very high prices,almost double of pork..

Jo Janoski said...

Yummy! The recipe sounds delish! Really good.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thank you Nazarina, I really like to stack things nicely. They don't always seem to stay that way.

I'm hoping this will last us through Spring, maybe part of Summer. My husband is a meat and potatoes man! Yes the stir-fry was very good. I froze chopped cabbage from the garden!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thanks Dan,

You're right you cannot overcook, I just don't like red meat, I like mine well done! You can do much with them, good desciption filet mignon of venison! :)

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hello Jose,

I grew up in the city too, and was very innocent to the country life, until I married my husband.

Buck and Doe taste much like beef, depends on what you have the ground meat mixed with, it will take on that flavor too.

We had our deer burger mixed with beacon and beef. It add some fat content to the meat, deer meat is very lean! You must not have many doe there if price is so high!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Thanks Jo,

We will be enjoying many different dishes with our stock! :)

ochikeron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ochikeron said...

Amazing food stock, jo!!!
90lbs!!!
Where did you learn the way to stock meat this nicely?! I can never do this...
Deer with beacon sounds delicious!!!
Did you find out that they match good?
I love stir-fried dishes ;)
I wish I could try yours!!!
But what amazed me is you can eat a wild? animal. I never had such food in my life!!!

ochikeron said...

Sorry jo, I posted the same thing twice... my previous comment wasn't completely deleted...

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hello Ochi,

I wish I could share some with you, it's especially good grilled!
Really when you make nice packaging
it's easier to stack nicely.

My husband just put in bag as a ball, I flatten to make easier to stack. The buck came back already packaged, we had that mixed with beef fat!

The beacon mix is so good, will make excellent meatloaf, spaghetti sauce with my frozen summer tomatoes.

You guys don't have much beef over there huh. I remember mom saying eating a lot of fish. I love fish too, would enjoy eating fresh! :)

ochikeron said...

Hi jo!

Yesterday I added bacon in a beef hamburger steak ;) My boyfriend loved it!!! (He likes bacon). Thanks for your idea ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails